Translate

Thursday, July 14, 2016

I.O.I (아이오아이) - Chrysalis


Summary

I didn't watch Produce 101 so I was totally unaware going into this review. I'm a fan of Sejeong and Mina since they are now part of a group I follow, Gugudan. I'm glad these girls are going to split off into new groups or solo careers, they deserve better producers.

Individual Song Reviews:

1. “I.O.I (Intro)

Typical intro track, though the dreamy tone didn't fit with the horns.

2. “Dream Girls music video

I was immediately overwhelmed by how much was happening in the song, too many sounds were thrown in. Was that a muted electric guitar? The chorus was pretty catchy, and the rap wasn't bad at all if not for the poorly-made song.

3. “Knock Knock Knock

The vocals in this track were better than the last, but not very clear. I'm not sure whether this was because of how they recorded it or another reason. Though I would've removed the horns, I liked this song better.

4. “Doo Wap

An extremely 80's inspired track, I love this style. I've been really impressed with their rapper so far! Though there's one voice that doesn't sit well with me, it's a good song overall.

5. “When The Cherry Blossoms Fade”

Interesting choice starting off with a harmonica. More 80's synth samples, I'm not complaining but where did the idea come from? Their vocals are a lot better in this song, I like the harmonies!

6. “Pick Me music video

It starts off really aggressive and goes downhill from there. To be blunt, it's a bad song. Really bad. Why.

Ending notes:

I wish for success for each of these girls in their future groups or as solo artists, but the producers dropped this album to a 5/10 for me.
1. Doo Wap
2. When the Cherry Blossoms Fade
3. Knock Knock Knock

Released May 4th 2016
Listen on Spotify here
Support I.O.I and buy this album on iTunes here

No comments:

Post a Comment