Translate

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

BTS (방탄소년단) - 화양연화: Young Forever (new songs and remixes)


Summary

BTS was the first kpop group I ever really got into, but the hype surrounding them has caused me to drift away and ignore them to some extent. But I always love their music, and was very excited to finally listen to the new tracks and remixes on HYYH part 3.

Individual Song Reviews:

1. “Butterfly (Prolouge Remix)"

When the prologue came out, I learned the snippet we had of this on piano so quickly. I've been waiting so long for the full version, and another 2+ months to actually listen to it. The harmonies sound as good as ever, and I got chills listening to the new verses. Taehyung's vocals were the shining part of the song for me, and I loved the guitar they brought in towards the end!

2. “Fire music video

Okay, this song and I have a love-hate relationship. It's messy, the parts don't fit well together, and the "harmony" with Jin and Jimin (you know the one) was tragic. But it's somehow still a bop, and has definitely grown on me since first listen.

3. “Save Memusic video

Ah yes, this song is my favorite out of the three I've heard due to music video releases. It's so different from what they've done in the past, and reminds me of something I like to listen to outside of kpop. Rap line killed it as well.

4. “Epilogue: Young Forevermusic video

This isn't their most dynamic song, but I can feel the heart behind it. The soaring vocals in the chorus are really uplifting, and who doesn't love a good clap beat?

5. “House of Cards (Full Length Edition)”

This song is flat out sensual, not too in your face but enough to groove to. Jungkook has now been deemed the adlib king, and the harmonies never get old. Jimin in the new verses though [eye emoji].

6. “Love Is Not Over (Full Length Edition)

I live for Jin and Taehyung harmonies, it's my favorite part of the original version. I did not expect raps to be in the full version, so when Namjoon's part started I got super hyped. The rap line was just the cherry on top of this song!

7. "I Need U (Urban Remix)”

Hoseok singing I've seen the light. I like this remix better than the orginial (which I usually skip on shuffle, awkward). The tuning on the raps was well done, and I really think this would sound great with a live band.

8. "I Need U (Remix)”

This was pretty meh for me, not something I would listen to all the time. The chorus was pretty cool, but the remix only got interesting for me in the last minute or so.

9. "Run (Ballad Mix)”

I've been waiting for this since the first Run teaser, thanks BigHit. This song gave me chills, something about the snaps got to me as well. More Hoseok singing as well, we're all blessed. This mix is such a contrast to the original, and I think I prefer this version!

10. "Run (Alternative Mix)”

I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in this mix. There's some added guitar and a bit of a tempo change.

11. "Butterfly (Alternative Mix)”

Same as the Run alternative mix.

Ending notes:

BTS never disappoints, I'm glad I saved this for over two months so I could give my honest reactions! 8/10
1. Run (Ballad Mix)
2. I Need U (Urban Remix)
3. Save Me

Released May 2nd 2016
Not available on Spotify
Support BTS and buy this album on iTunes here

No comments:

Post a Comment