Translate

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

April (에이프릴) - Spring

Summary

I've never listened to April before now, so I enjoyed doing this review. I didn't expect too much considering their average age is 17, but it was surprisingly quite good! I enjoyed their sweet sound, even though it was underwhelming at times.

Individual Song Reviews:

1. “Wake Up

I really love songs that take advantage of strings (see: Lovelyz' Destiny) so I liked this right off the bat. It's a very sweet-sounding song, their voices are projected but still soft. Although, the overall vibe from the song is underwhelming and forgettable, unfortunately.

2. “Tinkerbell music video

Starting out, I thought this would be another simply sweet track. But as it built traction in the pre-chorus, I started to get excited! The chorus is so catchy, I'm surprised I hadn't heard it before this. The vocals in this song are surprisingly very strong considering the cutesy feel they went for, I really enjoyed it!

3. “M.F.B.F. (To My Future Boyfriend)

I like the choice of instruments they used in this song. The guitar brings a warm feeling to the melody, and the piano in the chorus keeps it lively. The words that come to mind while listening are cute and quirky.

4. “When I Open My Eyes"

This track moves pretty slowly, but I love the feel of the chorus. It reminds me of an old-school anime. But aside from who I'm assuming is the main vocal, the rest of their voices come off as somewhat weak.

5. “Jelly”

Just to get it out of the way, snare drums are actually my weakness. I was blown away when I heard the sassy vibe of the song, it's so refreshing in contrast to the other songs on the album. I was completely sold as soon as I heard rap, I didn't expect at ALL (early SNSD Hyo vibes?? I love it).

Ending notes:

For such a young group I was pleasantly surprised with this album! I even added it to my personal spotify playlists. A solid 6/10.
1. Jelly
2. Tinkerbell

Released April 27th 2016
Listen on Spotify here
Support April and buy this album on iTunes here

No comments:

Post a Comment