Translate

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Lovelyz (러블리즈) - A New Trilogy

Summary

I haven't followed Lovelyz since their debut but this album makes me wish I had. Their fans, producers, and Lovelyz themselves should be very proud of this release. Out of the triple bang this past week, this album takes the cake for me, I'm stanning it's all over.

Individual Song Reviews:

1. “Moonrise

Just an intro track, a really nice taste of what's to come and a nod to the producers.

2. “나의 지구 (Destiny) music video

Right away the strings swept me up and into the song, the circular and spinning chord progression throughout keeps your heart moving with it. Their soft vocals paired with such a strong inventive track creates a great contrast, then opens up to really bold group vocals in the chorus. The general movement of the song takes you on a journey, it feels like it's all leading up to something or somewhere. I really really love this as the title track.

3. “픙당 (Fondant)

The opening of this song felt and sounded like the sun coming out after a long rain. The "shooby dooby dooby dooby doo" part made me smile so hard, the way they sing this song matches the mood perfectly. It seems very influenced by Japanese pop, which I don't mind at all (I love it actually). The ending to this song (and all the songs for that matter) wraps up everything with a cute little bow on top.

4. “책갈피 (Bookmark)

Each member has such a unique vocal tone, this song really shows that off. The build from the beginning all the way to chorus is so natural, it really shows maturity in their vocals that they don't need a flashy pre-chorus. I was not expecting a rap in this song at all but I absolutely LOVED IT, perfect placement and mood. They also briefly used a muted effect that will be brought back in a later song!

5. “1 cm”

I LOVE VIDEO GAME INSPIRED SONGS, especially done in this cute way they sound so magical to me. I don't think I stopped smiling throughout the entire 3 minutes and 41 seconds. The group vocals create a feeling where your heart just soars along with them, oh man. The bridge was also beautiful, their vocals are so great. Some people can't get past the J-pop inspired delivery but it really takes talent to control your voice that way. ALSO listen closely and you get a little guitar solo during the last chorus!

6. “마음 (*취급주의) [Dear You]

From OST to BOP real quick. These tracks are all so fresh and unique I want to meet who produced them and hug that person. The pre-chorus cools you down after getting slapped with a bop then you get slapped again with amazing chorus vocals. The beat dropout was perfectly placed and timed, super effective for suspense and building emotion all over again.

7. “인형 (Baby Doll)”

Here's where the muted effect comes in again, it's lowkey creepy but also very cool. This song is so chill, perfect for the conclusion of a great album. I feel like I would hear this playing during a royal ball scene in an anime (waltz timing), or maybe even some French cafe inspiration. Their soft vocals really shine, and I loved the little harp sample they put in at one point.

Ending notes:

A 9/10. I don't believe in perfect albums but this is as close as it gets.
1. 1 cm
2. "책갈피"
3. "마음 (*취급주의)" / "나의 지구" (yes it's a tie I couldn't pick don't judge me)

Released April 25th 2016
Listen on spotify here
Support Lovelyz and buy this album on iTunes here

No comments:

Post a Comment